Tuesday, March 16, 2010

#10 cans

I made a fun singing motivator out of an empty #10 can and a hand puppet.

After cleaning and drying the can well, I removed the bottom of the can with a can opener.

Then, using an exact-o knife I cut pie-shaped slits in the plastic lid. Tell the children a special friend will come out and sing with them as they do their very best. When they are doing very well, gradually nose up the puppet until it is completely out and singing along with the children. This would also make a great visual when singing "Lift Up Your Voice and Sing" (CS 252).

The cans make good drums, and also have a great washboard sound when you run a mallet across the outside ridges. I might try using them as instruments next time we sing pioneer songs.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin. I just found your blog and think it is great. This is an easy way to make a singing motivator. I have lots of puppets that I could change out. The kids wouldn't know from week to week "who" was going to peek out. Thanks for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathleen! That is great idea to switch out the puppets and keep the kids guessing. I also took a peek at your singing blog, and love some of your ideas. I'll be back for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I see that you are no longer the primary music leader, but thank you for leaving your site up! I love it and will use it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say "hi"!